Addison, Maine


Addison Maine

Town Office Information


Business Listings


Artists Listings

Building Maintenance - Pics/Meetings 

town Landings/Tide Charts

Tax Information


Parks/Recreational Land

Community Services and Organizations



Census Data

Social Activities

Emergency Planner

  Addison Photos |  Addison News      


This is the Official website for Addison, Maine.


Update - New sign in south addison now Finished!!!

Don Williams of Cape Split and Ron Carpenter of East Side Road graciously took on the chore of updating and refreshing the beautiful scenic and informational signs that used to grace our highways.  Don is re-doing the two 4x8 signs (one at the South Addison turn and one uptown on Point Street) originally contributed by the Fire Department Auxiliary almost 20 years ago and then covered with a now degraded plexiglass sheet.

This new South Addison sign now takes the place of the old one as of today after repainting/repairing and re-varnishing at Don's workshop in his home.
Several passersbys stopped to help and more than a few even took pictures from their phones.  The new aluminum frame on the S. Addison sign is slightly smaller than the original wooden frame so there will be light border touch-up as well.

Don, is an active member of the newly formed maintenance committee in Addison and completely contributed his labor.

Ron Carpenter and Dean McGray are taking on the task of replacing the printed road signage "Addison Incorporated 1797"--one on Rte 187 Indian River and one in Wescogus. The old signs were sturdy but needed refreshment. The consensus at a recent Selectmen's meeting chose nautical blue with white lettering.

We should see those up in September. Many THANKS to the town's volunteers!!



The Early Settlers
The town of Addison was given permission to incorporate by the General Court of Massachusetts on February 14, 1797. The settlers chose the name in honor of the British writer Joseph Addison. The earliest town records were lost but information has been pieced together from original family documents.  The earliest settlers that we have knowledge of were: Moses Plummer, William Ingersoll who came around the Revolutionary War, the Drisko brothers, John, Joseph and Samuel Nash, Daniel Merritt, John Hall, William Tibbetts, Charles Tabbutt and Lemeul Dyer.  Later documented settlers were Jeremiah Plummer (son of Moses), Freeman Yates, William Hix and Wilmot Wass.
Jeremiah Plummer's house was on the Wescogus River.  It was known for it's beautiful meadows and for an abundance of codfish.
Freeman Yates lived on Addison Point and owned the entire tract of land now known as Addison Village.  A tombstone , which has been recently re-cut by history benefactors, lies in the Baptist burying ground.  It marks the place of Yates and his wife.
William Hix lived on the east bank of the river, on the marsh.  The Hix family is known to have arrived previous to 1770.  He was famous for his moose hunting.
Wilmot Wass and his family were from Martha's Vineyard and settled on Cape Split.  They had six children.
Joseph, Samuel and James Nash were three brothers who settled here in 1767.  Joseph made his home on Addison Point and had nine children.  Samuel settled on the Ridge, a little south of the Columbia line.  He and his wife had 3 boys, Samuel Jr.,Issac and Keziah.  James made his home on the Ridge also but sold it to Isaiah, one of Joseph's children and moved to New York.
About 1770, a vessel left Martha's Vineyard, bearing seven families and landed on the shores of the Pleasant River. We know the name of five of those families and where they settled.
Seth and Amy Norton made their home on the east bank of the river, a little south of the bridge. They had seven children
Daniel and Anna Look established their residence on the east bank also, just a little farther south.  They had nine children and their ancestors still live on the property.  It is documented that Daniel was a writer and lived to be 90 years old.
Richard and Mary Coffin settled on the Ridge across from the Nash's.  Mr. Coffin is said to have planted the first apple tree in town.  He and Mary had seven children
Barnabas Coffin who was a cousin of Samuel built his house on the west bank of the river. He and his wife Betsey were Quaker's and had no children.
Daniel Small settled on the edge of Harrington to the west of Addison Village. 
The Bangor Historical Magazine gives the number of inhabitants on April 27, 1778 as 213. It states that most of the residents are direct descendants of the early settlers.
Early Industry
There were several key industries that brought the population of Addison to it's peak in 1860 to 1,272. Shipbuilding and quarrying were the major contributors. There were 83 vessels built between 1800 and 1900 and four major granite quarries in operation. Other important industries were coasting (bringing people and goods to the area by ship), fishing, timber and silver mining. By 1958 most of these industries had disappeared. With the closing of the last quarry, the population reached it's low in 1960 at 744.
Key Dates in History
1603: The Red Paint People and other Native Americans settle in the region
1604: Champlain visits the area
1750: Early white settlers arrive.
1797: Addison is incorporated
1800: Three thriving villages are established in Addison: Addison Point, Indian River and South Addison
1866: 100 Addison residents migrate to Jaffa in Palestine, aboard the "Nellie Chapin".  When the ill-fated Jaffa settlement failed, the ones that made it back were destitute.
1938: The Great Addison Point village fire
There is a wealth of knowledge available at the Addison Library about all of these settlers and more.  I encourage you to explore it.  There is a 53 page booklet of the History of Addison, published in 1905, available at Town Hall.  It includes information about the Indians that lived here before the settlers and stories of the early explorers. The Bicentennial book, also available at Town Hall, is full of wonderful photos. There is extended information in the Comprehensive Plan section of this website. The Pleasant River Historical Society is another source of information and details about this group are listed in the Community Organization section of this website.



Photos Taken by Kimbley Davis - Views of pleasant river



Website constructed by Daria's Digital Designs copyright 2010  DISCLAIMER
Updated by Kimbley Davis/Deputy Clerk for Town Of Addison